Reflecting on my design and final outcome


This post reflects on my development of the design for my piece for Saltaire Arts Trail and on my view of the outcome of the work

In previous posts, I talked about how it took a while for an idea to take shape in response to the brief and then how this idea evolved into the final work through the use of multiple techniques. Having now completed the piece, whilst I am pleased with the outcome there are a number of things I learnt through the process, including the following:

- Value feedback. Halfway through the project I presented a few samples and an overview of my idea of moorland recovery to fellow students. Having explained what felt to me like a disjointed idea with unconnected samples, the feedback was that it was a coherent and interesting idea and was worthy of development and exploration. The feedback also provided reassurance that the samples that I liked were also what appealed to others, encouraging me to trust myself and develop the ideas that appealed to me.

Birch twig rings - an early sample

Sample based on moss cells and showing potential development ideas , and linking these back to the work of Shiela Hicks

- A full size layout/design is important to help visualise the outcome and break down the plan. It enabled me to see how it would look in proportion to where it is to be displayed and also enabled me to estimate how many individual components I would need to make and what the distribution of colours and techniques could be across the work, hence enabling me to make a plan to complete the work.


Design and layout plan
My final piece for the project

- Don't be afraid of 'art'. I struggled with the idea of making something that has no practical purpose. I was concerned that I would make something neither beautiful nor useful. Some particularly useful advice was to think of art as being a communication mechanism and a means to engage people in considering an idea or topic. 

I think this advice led to me being less concerned about how beautiful or accomplished the work looked and instead focus on how it could communicate my idea. I also think it freed me to think in a slightly more abstract way about what I was making - as long as it had the feel of the idea I was trying to convey, I felt I was heading in the right direction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pashmina and Shahtoosh - origins and ethics